Our leasing programs are a great way to try this fantastic hobby! Give us a call or better yet, come see us at the stable.
We get it! Joining something new can be scary and we want to make your transition to horseback riding as smooth and painless as possible. Our leasing programs are a great way to get experience in this fun and exciting hobby.
- $150 per month (in addition to your weekly lesson fees with your trainer)
- One (1) ride per week in addition to either a group/private lesson with your riding instructor.
- $225 per month (in addition to your weekly lesson fees with your trainer)
- Two (2) rides per week in addition to either a group/private lesson with your riding instructor.
- $300 per month (in addition to your weekly lesson fees with your trainer)
- Three (3) rides per week in addition to either a group/private lesson with your riding instructor.
- $425 per month (in addition to your weekly lesson fees with your trainer)
- Unlimited use per week in addition to either a group/private lesson with your riding instructor.
To participate in the leasing program you must purchase your own tack. A western or english saddle, blanket/pad, bridle and brushes must be approved by a Sunset Trails instructor.
Sunset Trails Stables Leasing Terms and Requirements
- A Sunset Trails instructor must approve any leasing candidate.
- Horses may not leave Sunset Trails property unless prior permission is granted. This includes trail riding at James A. Reed and local shows. If you want to take a Sunset Trails horse to an outside show or event an additional $100 fee will be charged, does not include transportation cost.
- If you are granted permission to take a Sunset Trails horse to an outside event you are responsible for any and all emergency vet care and in the event of fatality you are responsible for the full value of the horse.
- We reserve the right to terminate the lease at any time.
- Payment is due by the fifth of every month or a $25 late fee will be charged.
- A “ride” is limited to an hour. An additional half an hour is allowed to groom and tack.
- We do not reserve or schedule times for lease rides
- Only the person leasing the horse and their immediate family may ride the horse.
- Everyone under the age of 18 must wear riding helmet while riding and have a liability release signed by their parent or guardian.
SUNSET TRAILS STABLES LEASING FAQ
Q. If I know how to ride and want to lease a horse, why do I have to also take a lesson each week with a riding instructor?
A. The horses in the leasing program are well trained quality horses. Maintaining each horse and improving your riding skills is an important part of horsemanship. Participating in a lesson each week with a Sunset Trails instructor insures the horses is being ridden properly and any issues/concerns with the horse and rider are being properly addressed.
Q. Why should I have my own tack to lease a horse?
A. Leasing a horse is often the first step toward purchasing a horse. Tack and equipment is very important for the horse and rider. Poorly fitting tack can cause soreness to the horse. The purchase of tack that properly fits your horse is important. All tack must be approved and fitted by your instructor.
Q. What if I decide I don’t like the horse I am leasing after a couple of weeks?
A. We work hard to provide the best leasing experience for you and your horse. If you find that the horse you have chosen is not right for you after the first few weeks, please let us know, and we will look at other alternatives.
Q. What if I decide I want to purchase the horse during the term of the lease?
A. All of the horses in the leasing program are for sale. A purchase price will be listed in your initial lease agreement. If someone else expresses interest in purchasing the horse you are leasing you will be given first right of refusal.
Q. What if I come to for my lease ride and the horse is already being used?
A. Sunset Trails lesson and lease horses have very busy schedules. We can give you an estimate about when your lease horse will not be used in lessons and other activities but make no guarantees about their availability. If you arrive for your lease ride and your lease horse is already being used, you may wait for your horse to become available. You cannot choose another lesson horse to ride without explicit permission from a staff member.